Welcome to the wedding blog for Megan & Tommy!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Can I marry this person?

I was reading something a former classmate said about relationships today, "I wish more couples would think before they get into relationships. Dating is one thing but please don't waste your time if you don't see yourself with that person 1 year, 5 years, 10 years down the line. Honestly think hard, where will it be 1 year from now? Good.. great. What about 5? Is it getting ugly, do you see yourself trying to keep it together for the sake of being together for 5 years. 10 year rolls around... think about it. You get my picture." His personal opinion got me thinking about us at the very beginning of our relationship.

From DAY 1, Tommy and I both thought (to ourselves) there was a very good possibility that our relationship was going to work out. We had the same interests, same beliefs, basically grew up the same way, had the same wants in life, and were really good friends (best to be exact), so the odds seemed to be in our favor. We were able to see ourselves years down the road, still together. Marriage was even on our minds from the very start. We weren't going to waste our time with someone we couldn't see ourselves with in the future, being married to.

We were both taught that relationships weren't something to take lightly. They aren't something you get into just for recreational purposes. So because of what we were taught, our OWN personal beliefs, and logical reasons, that statement above makes perfect sense.

I know for me personally, I knew Tommy was THE ONE (for sure) when I saw myself 10, 20, 30 years into the future with him. I occasionally thought about what types of things I would like to accomplish or do with my life. Marriage was something I would have liked to do (but not a priority), have kids, travel, buy a house, etc. Material, recreational, and spiritual things included. All of which I saw someone with me, but it was never clear who it was. Just another figure by my side. Once Tommy was in the picture, that other person became crystal clear. It was Tommy who was by my side for everything I experienced in my life, or hoped to experienced.

And now that we've been together for 4 1/2 years, its even clearer that this is for the long run. The amount of time we've been together may not seem like that long, and we'll have our ups and downs, but we've never doubted that this is what we truly want. It still feels like we've only been together for a couple months and far from being tired with one another. Just spending time together makes us completely happy. We can both truthfully say that this has been the happiest we have ever been

No comments: